Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Heat Free Curls / Waves Overnight!

There are several reasons I prefer sleeping in rollers over curling my hair every morning.
  • I can sleep in a little later. If you're anything like me, mornings suck.
  • No damage to my hair. I find that curling my hair everyday always shows before my next hair cut. Split end city!
  • The cost for most of these methods I use is minimal.
  • It takes me less time to throw my hair in rollers before bed than it does to curl my entire head.
These are the items I like and use the most often. The ways I use them works for me. I had to run around a few days looking an awful lot like Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City before I nailed my methods that work for my thin, long hair. I encourage you to try my ways AND maybe try some different options to make them work for you!

With all of these tutorials, I use my trusted Beyond the Zone Super Sexy Wave Spray which I have ranted about in my Sally Beauty Supply Favorite post (see here)

 Conair Spiral Curlers


I really enjoyed this tutorial. However, I found that using these
with wet hair like she did made me look like a poodle for about half of the next day. My trick is to use them with dry hair with product only. These can be purchased at Wal-Mart, Target, or Amazon.

Curlformers


I have the "Long and Wide" (come in a pack of 8) and the "Extra Long and Extra Wide" (Come in a pack of 4) Curlformers on hand. The "Long and Wide" Give me much tighter curls that fall looser throughout the day, where as the "Extra Long and Extra Wide" give me big, beautiful waves. 

On the "Long and Wide" Curlformers, I use them on Dry Hair. Once again, I find the curls to be too tight if I use them on wet. However, the "Extra Long and Extra Wide" Curlformers have to be used on 50% Wet Hair, or the curls fall out quickly.

I found that I had to buy 2 packs of each for my hair, and all of them are used. They do have Curlformer Styling Kits available that include around 40 rods, but they will put you back about $65.00. I don't have a need for that many, so the smaller packs did just fine for me. I'm sure those with thicker hair or those that want tighter curls will need to make the larger purchase.


Super Bendy Rollers
(7/8" Diameter)

When using my 7/8" bendy rollers from Sally Beauty Supply, I put them in my hair as if I have mohawk and use little clips on the ends of my hair to make sure they stay. They don't bend well enough to avoid using the clips. I lightly spray my hair with water and place product in my hair. I wake up with big waves when I use this option. Caution: Place the curlers on your head where you don't usually sleep. I tend to sleep on my side, that the mohawk works best for me. It's really painful if you sleep on these.

Super Bendy Rollers
(3/4" Diameter)

I found this video online, which is how I was introduced to these Super Bendy Rollers. I do mine identical to how HauteBrilliance does. These don't hurt so much to sleep on like the 7/8" ones do.


Traditional Sponge Curlers

Last but certainly not least, are the sponge curlers. Definitely never have a problem sleeping in these :) I use them with 50% wet hair with smoothing cream and a little mousse. 6 does it for my thin hair, and I place them all pretty low. End product is beautiful, big curls that look like the results I get with my curling iron. 

Above picture was done with 3/4" Super Bendy rollers. Photo was even taken 24 hours after I took them out. Enjoy! 

2 comments: